Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Home Stretch...

It looks as though I am about to have a heck of a lot more blogging time on my hands for the next couple of weeks. However, it also looks as though I am going to have substantially less to write about, unless you consider the plot lines of old Law and Order reruns on USA blog-worthy.

As of tomorrow, I am officially on bed rest. Because I am retaining a substantial amount of water and she does not want it to turn into preeclampsia, the doctor has ordered me to stop going to work and spend the vast majority of every day either with my feet elevated above my heart in the recliner or in bed. It’s serious, but it’s nothing worth getting into hysterics over. I was allowed to come back to work yesterday and also to come in today to get things in order.

Also, she says that the baby is absolutely fine. In fact, the technician swore she could make out hair during the sonogram. After all sorts of measuring and extrapolation, she estimates him to be at about 7 ½ pounds right now and, theoretically, he’ll be gaining about an ounce a day until delivery. He is also very active. In fact, we could watch him moving on the screen during the ultra-sound yesterday. He kept putting his hands up to his face. I’m happy to say that he’s in the right position (that was also a fear the doctor had) and ready to go.

Here is one of the printouts from yesterday’s visit:


According to the technician, this is a profile of the side of his face and he has his hand in his mouth. Now that he's so much bigger, I think it's a little harder to see, but I can kind of see it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was bedrest at the end for pregnancy induced hypertension with my last baby. I thought it was going to be awful, but I ended up kind of enjoying it.

I know it's hard, but try to look at the bright side.. you're going to get plenty of rest before the baby's here. That's a good thing! Labor can be, well, labor-intensive, and being truly rested before you do it can make a difference.

You can get caught up on all your shows... (Do you have Tivo or a reasonable facsimile thereof? It's a necessity when you're on bedrest!). Or watch a lot of movies, if that's more your thing (ditto with Netflix being necessary).

Read a lot of books, do crafty stuff if you're so inclined.

Oh, heck, you know what appeals to you most if you're forced to be immobile, so I won't belabor the point.

I hope you're able to find some sort of peace with it and enjoy the enforced rest.