Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I want to help...

Great news! (You all may not find it as exciting as I do but…well, tough!) Yesterday I emailed the head of the Michigan Battered Women’s Clemency Project in Ann Arbor because, after doing some browsing on their website for information for our newsletter, I decided that I would like to volunteer if possible. It’s unbelievable the things some of these women have had to endure, both from their (often numerous) abusers and from our justice system. (I highly recommend taking a peek at the “History” section of their website: http://www.umich.edu/~clemency/). Well, I had an email from this morning with my first little project to work on! Also, I was told that I may be asked to help with courthouse research. I know this is going to sound cheesy, but it feels so good to be helping…

So, just so you know, I’m forwarding the word about the rally, scheduled for 10/7, on the steps of the MI capitol building. The Michigan Battered Women’s Clemency Project will hold a rally on the front steps of Michigan’s Capitol Building on Friday, Oct. 7, at noon. The Project has submitted 20 petitions for clemency to Governor Jennifer Granholm in connection with the rally. It is hoped that Governor Granholm will grant clemency to these women who never received fair trials.

Here is one of the women’s stories:
Doreen Washington
had nothing to do with the 1988 death of her violently abusive husband, who was shot and killed by her foster son in a moment of panic and fear. The 12 year old child thought he was protecting Doreen Washington and her son from her husband's attacks. She had been injured, beaten, and set on fire by her husband, and was repeatedly hospitalized for her injuries. She went to police over and over but received no response to her appeals for help from police over the years. At her trial, her medical doctor was not allowed to testify in her defense, and she was convicted of first degree murder and conspiracy. She bears permanent scars over much of her body and health problems from the years of abuse. (kind of makes you want to help too, doesn’t it?)

No comments: